The 2017 ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship is now open and ALUCA members are invited to lodge their entries for a chance to win a once in a lifetime overseas conference package valued up to AU$8,000.
To enter, applicants are asked to write a paper up to 2,500 words answering one of 10 questions, drawn from a broad range of topic areas pertaining to the life insurance sector, in the Application Form.
To help you write that winning paper view TurksLegal’s Top 10 Tips.
Applications close 5pm AEST on Sunday 10 September 2017.
The winner of the Scholarship receives an overseas conference package valued at up to AU$8,000 including return travel, accommodation, $1,000 cash and registration to one of the following conferences in the USA of their choice:
- 2018 Eastern Claims Conference - 6-8 May 2018, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- 2018 LOMA Life Insurance Conference (date and location TBC)
- 2018 DI & LTC Insurers Forum (date and location TBC)
In addition to the major prize, the winner is invited to sit on the judging panel alongside senior industry leaders for next year’s scholarship and receives automatic membership to ALUCA and TurksLegal’s scholarship alumni program, Life Insurance Future Thinking (LIFT).
The 1st runner-up prize is a $1,000 Visa pre-paid gift card and the 2nd runner-up prize is a $250 restaurant voucher.
Who can enter?
The Scholarship is open to all members of ALUCA regardless of country of residence. Each entrant must be a current financial member of ALUCA as at 23.59 AEST on Thursday, 31 August 2017 and work in the life insurance industry. Lawyers, accountants or medico-legal consultants who meet the above criteria are eligible to enter provided they are direct employees of life insurance companies, life reinsurance companies, superannuation trustees or superannuation administrators. Entry is not open to members of the ALUCA National Board.
2017 Judging Panel
The judging panel comprises the following senior industry professionals:
- Damien Mu, CEO, AIA
- Devi Uka, Deputy Chair, ALUCA
- Gavin Pearce, Managing Director, Insurance, ANZ Wealth Australia
- Malcolm Weir, General Manager, Customer Services, CommInsure
- Linda Winterbottom, Claims Rehabilitation Consultant, RGA Reinsurance
- Brett Clark, Group Chief Executive Officer & Managing Director, TAL
- Nick Wendon, Product Manager, Macquarie Group (2016 Scholarship winner)
- John Myatt, Partner and Practice Head of Insurance & Financial Services, TurksLegal
- Alph Edwards, Partner, TurksLegal
- Darryl Pereira, Partner, TurksLegal
The winners will be announced at the ALUCA NSW Professional Day in Sydney on Tuesday 17 October 2017.
About the Scholarship
Now in its 11th year, the ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship is designed to support the professional growth of ALUCA and its members by providing a significant career development opportunity for professionals working in the life insurance industry.
2016 Winner and Runners-Up
Nick Wendon, Product Manager, Macquarie Group (formerly Insurance Manager (Superannuation), AMP) was awarded the 2016 ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship for his outstanding essay focused on creating a sustainable insurance design in Superannuation. Click here to watch a video interview with Nick.
The 1st runner-up was, Christine Gan, Senior Manager, CommInsure (formerly Hannover Life Re Australia) for her paper on Mental Health Underwriting and Antidiscrimination. The 2nd runner-up was Elizabeth Haddow-Allen, Senior Rehabilitation Consultant, CommInsure for her paper on TPD in an Era of Change.
Here are links to the winning papers: