The 2018 ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship is now open and ALUCA members are invited to lodge their entries for a chance to win a once in a lifetime overseas conference package valued up to AU$8,000.
To enter, applicants are asked to write a paper up to 2,500 words answering one of 10 questions, drawn from a broad range of topic areas pertaining to the life insurance sector, in the Application Form.
To help you write that winning paper view TurksLegal’s Top 10 Tips.
Applications close 17:00pm AEST on Sunday 2 September 2018.
The winner of the Scholarship receives an overseas conference package valued at up to AU$8,000 including return travel, accommodation, $1,000 cash and registration to one of the following conferences in the USA of their choice:
- 2019 Eastern Claims Conference: 31 March 2019 - 2 April 2019, Boston, MA
- 2019 LOMA Life Insurance Conference: 1 - 3 April 2019, Baltimore, MD
- 2019 DI & LTC Insurers Forum (date and location TBC)
In addition to the major prize, the winner is invited to sit on the judging panel alongside senior industry leaders for next year’s scholarship and receives automatic membership to ALUCA and TurksLegal’s scholarship alumni program, Life Insurance Future Thinking (LIFT).
The 1st runner-up prize is a $1,000 Visa pre-paid gift card and the 2nd runner-up prize is a $250 restaurant voucher.
Who can enter?
The Scholarship is open to all members of ALUCA regardless of country of residence. Each entrant must be a current financial member of ALUCA as at 23:59pm AEST on Friday, 31 August 2018 and work in the life insurance industry. Lawyers, accountants or medico-legal consultants who meet the above criteria are eligible to enter provided they are direct employees of life insurance companies, life reinsurance companies, superannuation trustees or superannuation administrators. Entry is not open to members of the ALUCA National Board.
2018 Judging Panel
The judging panel comprises the following senior industry professionals:
- Brett Clark, Chief Executive Officer, TAL
- Gavin Pearce, Managing Director, Insurance, ANZ Wealth Australia
- Jeremy Houghton, Head of Strategy and Corporate Affairs, AIA
- Malcolm Weir, General Manager, Life Customer Services, CommInsure
- Linda Winterbottom, Claims Rehabilitation Consultant, RGA
- Nick Kirwan, Policy Manager, Life Insurance, FSC
- Jennifer Jackson, Senior Rehabilitation Consultant, CommInsure (2017 Scholarship winner)
- Devi Uka, Deputy Chair, ALUCA
- Alph Edwards, Partner, TurksLegal
- John Myatt, Partner & Practice Group Head, TurksLegal
- Darryl Pereira, Partner, TurksLegal
The winners will be announced at the ALUCA Biennial Conference in Tasmania from 11-13 October 2018.
About the Scholarship
Now in its 12th year, the ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship is designed to support the professional growth of ALUCA and its members by providing a significant career development opportunity for professionals working in the life insurance industry.
2017 Winner and Runners-Up
Jennifer Jackson, Senior Rehabilitation Consultant, CBA was awarded the 2017 ALUCA TurksLegal Scholarship for her outstanding essay focused on ‘Genetic testing leaves some excluded from Life Insurance… or does it?’. Click here to watch a video interview with Jennifer.
The 1st runner-up was, Carola Moore, Claims L & D Manager, AMP for her paper on ‘Getting Capabilities Right: Essential skills for future underwriting and claims professionals’. The 2nd runner-up was Amanda Cruikshank, Rehabilitation Consultant, AIA for her paper on ‘Bringing the benefits of the return to work philosophy to superannuation?’.
Winner Paper: ‘Genetic testing leaves some excluded from Life Insurance” …or does it?’
1st Runner Up: ‘Getting the Capabilities Right’
2nd Runner Up: ‘Bringing the Benefits of the Return to Work Philosophy to Superannuation?’