Honor Grant-Hennessy, Senior Group Underwriter, OnePath Life/Zurich, has been awarded this year’s prestigious ALUCA Turks Scholarship for her paper on ‘Responding in Times of Emergency’ looking at how life insurers and superannuation trustees can positively change how they interact with their customers during times of social and economic interruption.
The 1st runner-up is, Suzanne Whyte, Senior Claims Consultant, RGA for her paper on ‘Unfair contract terms’. Suzanne wins a $1,000 Visa pre-paid gift card. The 2nd runner-up is Troy Williams, Corporate Counsel, TAL for his paper on the future of IP cover. Troy receives a $250 restaurant voucher.
Congratulations to Honor, Suzanne and Troy!
Over the coming weeks we will be sharing the 3 award-winning submissions starting with Troy's paper.
Read the 2020 winners’ papers
The ALUCA Turks Scholarship, now in its 14th year is designed to support the professional growth of ALUCA and its members by providing a significant career development opportunity for professionals working in the life insurance industry.
- 2021 Eastern Claims Conference
- 2021 Life Insurance Conference
- 2021 Supplemental Health, DI & LTC Conference
If international travel restrictions are still in place when your chosen conference is scheduled, the prize may be awarded as cash in the sum of AU$8,000.
In addition to the major prize, the winner is invited to sit on the judging panel alongside senior industry leaders for next year’s scholarship and receives automatic membership to ALUCA and TurksLegal’s scholarship alumni program, Life Insurance Future Thinking (LIFT). The 1st runner-up will receive a AU$1,000 Visa pre-paid gift card and the 2nd runner-up will receive a AU$250 restaurant voucher.
- Understanding of and insight into the chosen topic
- Conclusions supported by sound evidence and research
- Clarity of thought
- Commercial insight
- Jenny Oliver, Chief Claims Officer, TAL
- Gavin Pearce, Chief Operating Officer, Life & Investments, Zurich
- David Campbell, Chief Operating Officer, MetLife
- Malcolm Weir, Financial Services Executive
- Jeremy Houghton, Head of Strategy and Corporate Affairs, AIA
- Linda Winterbottom, Claims Rehabilitation Consultant, RGA Reinsurance
- Cy Lindeberg, Health Support Consultant, BT Financial (2019 Scholarship winner)
- Mark Raberger, Chair of ALUCA and Head of Health, MetLife
- Alph Edwards, Partner, TurksLegal
- Darryl Pereira, Partner, TurksLegal
The 1st runner-up is, Suzanne Whyte, Senior Claims Consultant, RGA for her paper on ‘Unfair contract terms’. Suzanne wins a $1,000 Visa pre-paid gift card. The 2nd runner-up is Troy Williams, Corporate Counsel, TAL Life for his paper on the future of IP cover. Troy receives a $250 restaurant voucher.
Be inspired by watching this short clip from our 2019 winner, Cy Lindeberg from BT Financial, talking about what winning, but more importantly the journey, meant to her. Most of all, write your own story in 2020, enter the Scholarship!
Download 2019 winners’ papers