Stephen is a commercial lawyer with over 30 years of extensive experience in property and commercial transactions and corporate and regulatory issues. He joined TurksLegal in 2007, bringing with him the boutique commercial practice which he founded and operated successfully in Melbourne’s CBD since 1983.
Stephen is the partner in charge of Commercial Transactions in our Victorian Commercial Disputes & Transactions Group.
Stephen’s transactions experience includes commercial property; sales and acquisitions, leasing, due diligence, subdivisions and industrial developments. He has acted in large scale commercial property infrastructure development transactions, domestic conveyancing, mortgages, and property joint ventures, as well as in relation to body corporate and sub-divisional issues. He has also advised in relation to mergers and acquisitions, the sale and purchase of companies and businesses and structuring of new ventures.
Since joining TurksLegal, Stephen has acted for banking institutions on numerous sales of properties initiated by mortgagees exercising their power of sale. There is a natural synergy between our Litigation and Transaction teams as a result of instructions to enforce security.
Stephen also acts for liquidators, receivers and trustees in bankruptcy, in relation to commercial and property issues arising from insolvencies and corporate restructurings.
· Receivership and sale of the Dreamworld Theme Park (QLD)
· Receivership and sale of the Lasseters Hotel and Casino (NT)
· Numerous transfers of life insurance businesses between Life Act Friendly Societies
· Sale of IOOF Retirement Villages
· Acquisition and management of large mortgage portfolios
· Friendly Society and Managed Investment Scheme product development and marketing arrangements
· Shipping Terminal leases and Port authority management agreements
· Demutualisation of Noble Oak Life
Stephen is particularly familiar with the legal issues affecting friendly societies, having been a consultant to both government and industry bodies in this field over many years. He frequently acts in relation to corporate advisory matters on behalf of some of Australia's largest friendly societies and their corporate subsidiaries.